Saturday, July 23, 2005

A Little Hope...


Awwwwwwwww.......... Posted by Picasa

Yup...here's the newest member of our little family. Her name is Hope.
I broke down, gave in, caved in...whatever you want to call it - I am a sucker!
My girls have been begging for a dog for years and I've managed to dodge this bullet for as long as possible. I swear raising a puppy is harder than raising a child and I've tried to explain that to my kids. But then we were in the pet store the other night and saw this little cutie and even I couldn't resist. I did pretty well when they told me that the dog was $750! For a dog? She doesn't even have papers (not that I need those, but for $750 bucks, you'd think they would at least keep up the pretense of her being valuable). I'm all about saving the dog from the pound - that's where we got our cat. But I sure fell in love with this little girl! I talked them down to $600 and then got my ex-husband to pay for it (he's a bigger sucker than me! ;) He started out by saying he would give me $400 towards the dog and then he saw the teary look in my daughter's eyes when she thought she couldn't get it. She gave us the speech about how of course she'll pick up after it, take it for walks, bathe it, feed it twice a day, train it to drive her to school...all the things a parent wants to hear. Her dad fell for it hard - she is such a daddy's girl! He finally said, "Okay, just go get the dog, and just try to get me a good deal on it!" She started to cry again, and when I asked her why she was crying, she said, "Because I'm so happy!" Awww...!! Then I look at her dad and his eyes were all teary, and I thought - SUCKER!!!

She sure is a cute little thing, but now I'm in for long nights, early mornings and chewed up stuff all over the house. I never realized how much stuff I leave laying around until I got her, and it's only been one day!

By the way, I don't know the first thing about training a dog, so I could use any advice anyone chooses to give. She's managed not to have any accidents in the house (we take her out like every five minutes!), but I know they're coming.

I'll keep you posted on little Hope's progress!

15 comments:

Dawn said...

She is so cute, I am not sure how anyone could turn away form her. I bet you are such a proud momma:)

Here via Michele

Jenni said...

Awwww...CUTE!

We trained Lola very fast. When she has an accident just take her directly outside and never punish her for doing it. Which is easier said than done. Also, my entire house is hard-wood floors which makes it easier to clean up...
Anyway, just make sure to be attentive and award her for going potty outside. Award, Award, Award...that's the best thing for her!

Tracy S said...

aweeeeeee she is so adorable !!! Congrats !!!!

carmilevy said...

What a beautiful dog! Our kids have been working us over for their own dog ever since we put our cat down in March. Given my rapidly accelerating workload, I think you'd have to shoot me.

But someday...

We are to totally dog people, so it's only a matter of time.

Looking forward to reading more about Hope's adventures. Give her a pat from us.

Oh, BTW, Michele sent me tonight.

Marie said...

Awwwww!!! She is SO precious! :-) I'd want to take her home too.

Anonymous said...

I;m not a dog person but that's one cute little one.

Anonymous said...

Cute little guy! I wouldn't have been able to resist either- especially with that look in my kids' eyes...

:) Michele sent me!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Your Hope is adorable! I am a big fan of crate training. My husband is so well behaved and puts the seat down now! LOL...no really, my dog was crate trained and it was an easy process. he did want the crate in our room at night though. Pack mentality I suppose.

Dogs are great!!

Lu said...

sooo cute...

Charlie Mc said...

great picture of an adorable dog! Maybe I'll bring Bruce by to play! :)

Anonymous said...

so sweet and adorable. nice ex husband to pay for it. :)

Mike said...

your only hope is jesus and me the only true prophet!!!
The Church of Jesus Christ of Even More Latter Day Saints

Just Me said...

cutie!! just watch out for it wiping its butt on your carpet..you know...how thet sit down and slide across the room...yumm

erl said...

omg that dog is SO CUTE!

Miss_Vicki said...

Congrats on the cute puppy!!! I can't resist them, I can't even go in pet stores or shelters, I'd leave with every single thing they had. Enjoy that little baby!