Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What can I say. I'm a sheep.

I'm a joiner by nature, which is why I now feel compelled to copy what some of you have done on your blogs recently (don't make me name names, you know who you are).
My first 50.....

Please hold your applause 'til the end.

1. I'm freaked out about turning 40 next month (well now I'm just being redundant, aren't I?).
2. I'm the youngest of three kids, and only because I became a mother before my siblings did they stop treating me like the baby. Now they call me for parenting advice.
3. I'm a big old stinkin' daddy's girl, who still calls her daddy "Daddy."
4. I'm usually pretty frugal at the grocery store, but I'm a whore for anything lavender. I'll pay way too much for lavender body wash, fabric softener, etc.
5. I'm a fanatical star gazer. I just signed up for an Astronomy class at the community college, which I hear is actually quite difficult. I can't wait for it to start in two weeks.
6. I've been in a Mexican jail twice. Once because I truly got arrested, the other time because my friends did and I had to bail them out. The only reason I got them out was because one of my friends convinced the guards that I was pregnant with his child.
7. I believe that love makes the world go 'round. Seriously. I think it's the most important thing worth striving for in this life...those loving relationships that you can cherish when everything else is gone.
8. I love classical music and am listening to it right now.
9. I have a weird phobia of grasshoppers. You can just never tell where those little pests are going to hop next and it freaks me the hell out to the point of being irrational.
10. When I was little, I was painfully shy. I had no confidence until I was at least 17 years old.
11. My ex-husband was a triplet, and even though I knew it wouldn't happen, I always wanted multiple births.
12. I ended up dating my ex-husband after his brother brought him along on a date that was supposed to be with him.
13. When I met him, I was already seeing a very nice guy named Scott who had just been drafted by the Cleveland Indians. I broke his heart and feel a little bad about it to this day.
14. I read about two books a week. Sometimes when I'm really into a good book, I resent that I have to do anything responsible and that I just can't be home reading my book.
15. If someone were trying to prove that homosexuality is hereditary, they could use my family as a case study. I have a sister, two aunts, and three cousins who are gay. That we know of.
16. If I have to have an important conversation with someone, I practice it, sometimes out loud. It's led to more than one embarrassing situation when I get caught at it.
17. I was in a car accident seven years ago in which I should have died. Jaws of Life, trauma surgeons, the whole nine yards. The hospital told everyone who called, including my family, that I would not make it through the day. I didn't see my life flash before my eyes as some will speculate, but right before I passed out I did have a very clear mental picture of someone telling my daughters that their mother had died. I think God saved me to stay on this earth and be their mom.
18. I'm really small but don't feel like it until I see a picture of me standing in a crowd.
19. My favorite color is purple and I pretty much can't get enough of it.
20. I share a birthday with Bruce Springsteen and every year my brother calls and says the same thing, "Hey. Don't forget to call Bruce today. It's his birthday. Never mind, I'll tell him. I'm seeing him later for drinks."
21. Every year on my sister's birthday, he leaves this message for her, "Hey. Don't forget to call your sister today. It's her birthday."
22. I collect antique perfume bottles.
23. I make my own Limoncello and other infused alcohols, like mandarin, green apple and blackberry vodkas and give it away as gifts.
24. I also make my own paper.
25. I pretty much think I'm Martha Stewart.
26. I wear a size 5 shoe and know the only pair in my size that every shoe store will have is the one on display.
27. I've been covering gray in my hair since my mid 20's.
28. I've been to India and to the home of Mother Theresa, where the terminally ill go to die with dignity. I've met and spent time with the nun that took over her mission.
29. I've also been to Haiti where I've sponsored a child for 10 years. I got to meet his family and see where he lives.
30. I have a lifetime to do list which I take very seriously. Some things I've been able to cross off, such as climbing the Great Wall of China and trekking in the Andes. Others I have yet to achieve, such as running with the bulls in Pamplona, getting on stage with Barry Manilow, visiting all seven continents (three more to go) and finding the love of my life (What? Doesn't everybody want to get on stage with Barry Manilow?).
31. I have over 100 cousins.
32. My parents separated when I was 10, but didn't divorce until I was 29.
33. I played varsity tennis in high school.
34. I thought I met the love of my life while in college. He was beautiful, kind and loyal. I broke up with him because he had a business degree from one of the most prestigious colleges in California and was working at a sporting goods store and I thought doing nothing with his life. He had no dreams, and I couldn't imagine a future with a man who had no dreams.
35. I'm half Mexican on my mom's side and Danish on my dad's. My mom is dark and my dad is as white and blonde as they come. No one can believe we're related. I ended up somewhere in between. When I was growing up, I always thought my parents made a funny looking couple.
36. I have one child who looks like my mom (dark skin, dark eyes) and one who looks like my dad (fair skin, light hair, and VERY blue eyes). I love it.
37. My bedroom is my sanctuary.
38. After my bad car accident, I now have what is called Chiari's syndrome. The bottom portion of my brain is slipping down into the hole in the bottom of my skull where my brain stem and spinal cord go. I have no adverse symptoms though, and I probably never will. I'm very lucky. But it's kind of a cool story.
39. I had a really bad lisp when I was a child and also couldn't say my R's. I was in speech therapy until Jr. High, when I absolutely refused to go any longer.
40. For that reason, I had a dreaded fear of public speaking until I was forced into it for a job I had. Now I can get up in a room full of thousands of people and it doesn't bother me at all.
41. I had the same best friend from the time I was 15 until I was 28 when she moved to Ireland. We're still close. Her name's Maggie. :)
42. My daughters are athletic studs.
43. I dated an actor for awhile who was actually on a TV comedy every week. He was a drama queen, but I got to go to cool parties at famous people's homes!
44. I believe in mind over matter and have learned most things in life this way - forcing myself to do that which makes me uncomfortable.
45. I recently had a reiki master come to my home and do a session on me and I think it was one of the coolest things ever.
46. During the fall I put on warm clothes, sit outside and close my eyes and listen to the wind in the trees, and I am at such peace that I think God created that sound just for me.
47. I've always wanted to learn how to tapdance.
48. My favorite movies are Life is Beautiful and Breakfast at Tiffany's, in that order.
49. I have more heroes than I can count.
50. I think I know the most important thing to making a marriage work. Seriously. Feel free to ask what it is, I may devote an entire post to it.

I think I can only hang with 50 things right now, even though I know the list is supposed to be 100. Maybe I'll get to the next 50 later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being 40 is cool -- and a perfect time to learn to tap dance.

MorahMommy said...

I loved reading your list. I;m almost 40 but I'm not worrying about it.

I also still call my daddy, Daddy!! :)

Slim said...

My, my, Steph, you have lived a lot in your not-quite forty years. I'm extremely impressed.

I'm with you on both the lavender and purple. Mexican jail? Twice? Don't people go there and just die?

Barry Manilow? Ugh. HE makes me cringe, but, best of luck with that goal. And, I practice conversations too. But I do it in my car so that I am positive nobody will happen upon me as I appear to be completely insane.

Bring on the next 50!

John said...

You really do make paper and I still have some. I only use it for special occasions. That's what rare and beautiful things are for!

I could SO see you in Riverdance! Total stab in the dark says that you're the only half Mexican half Danish one out there too :)

You know you haven't even scratched the wax that hides the varnish that covers the surface here, though.

Ryane said...

I love to sit outside in the Fall and listen to the wind blow, as well. I normally also take a huge cup of coffee with me..or some other fun libation.

I feel you on turning 40. It may still be 6 years away for me, but hell--28 seemed just like a minute ago...

Marty said...

9) I hate grasshoppers too. Little icky-feeling bastards! Do you jump like a sissy if one lands on you? I do.
10) I was painfully shy up until college, and I'm still quiet at times. It just means we're introspective. Or, in my case, I'm not bothered with the blabbermouths around me. haha JK
17) I wish I'd been aware of my near-death experiences. I was just an infant. But I think it would be cool to have seen God or something.
23) blackberry vodka! I'll take some of that.

bonus) Pick my brain anytime....

;)
ps When you turn 70, worry. 40? Nah.

Steph said...

Neil ~ I'm on the tapdancing! I just signed up for lessons yeterday!

MM ~ You never outgrow the daddy thing, huh? I do it without even realizing it. :)

WIP ~ You're right about the Mexican jail thing. I'm lucky to be alive. Talk about young and stupid. And yeah, that's most people's reaction to my Barry fetish! ;)

John ~ I know. I'm so shallow sometimes. ;) But I'm working on the next 50 as we speak!

Ryane ~ It seems like 28 was mere minutes ago for me too!! I swear, I do not know where it went. I still FEEL 28.

Marty ~ YES! I jump, scream and freak out like a sissy girl every time one jumps. As though it's a snake or something and has the ability to kill me. I'm telling you...it's completely irrational!

shpprgrl said...

I enjoyed your 50...very interesting! Don't worry, you will be a great 40. I just know it. And...you've shared yet another cool celebrity story! Ps....I'm wearing purple today! :)

Anonymous said...

i loved learning so much about you. very awesome that you shared so much.

David said...

You are not 40! Shut! Up!
(that was my Anne Hathaway impression)

Do not be afraid of grasshoppers. If they hop on you, just pretend they are puppies.