Sunday, July 01, 2007

Not sure how to start this, so I just will. Obviously I haven't posted for awhile, but I know I have blogger friends out there that would care about what I'm about to say, so I'll just jump in...

Last Friday my oldest daughter had a surgical biopsy for what her doctors are assuming is Hodgkins Lymphoma. It's been going on for about four months now, leading to the biopsy on Friday. The good news is that it's highly curable, as her oncologist confirmed last week. The bad news is that it is a form of cancer and treatment for it would very traumatic, even though the prognosis for this type is very good. After four months of doctors, tests, CT Scans, etc., I feel like we're finally in capable hands. The first time we met her oncologist, he hugged her and kissed her forehead and said, "Don't worry sweetie. I'll treat you as if you were my own little girl." He's my new hero.

When we went for her pre-op appointment last week, I took this picture with her holding her urine sample in her lap. Yeah, I know it's gross. And the look on her face indicates that she thinks she's surrounded by idiots! :)



Then we went to the biopsy at 6 AM Friday morning. Here she is in her little purple hospital gown. The picture isn't very clear - I took it on my cellphone.



The doctor removed three lymph nodes. One to send for cultures, two to send to pathology, looking for Hodgkins and other types of lymphoma. We won't get the results for about a week. At times I have so much to say about this, and normally I would give a lot more details. Now I'm just really tired. I'll try to write more about it later. For now I would appreciate your prayers.

Thanks.

13 comments:

twobuyfour said...

I wish you all the very best. I know it's a parents worst nightmare to have something awful happen to their children. It sounds like she's in good hands though, and I'm sure you'll all be a happy HEALTHY family again in no time.

My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I know you'll worry a lot over the next several months and years, but in time it just becomes a part of her history, and part of who she is.

Keep your spirits up.

Jenni said...

You know I am always here to talk to. I'm glad to hear that the prognosis is good...From what I know, she is such a strong person, this will only make her stronger.

Slim said...

Good Lord Steph, I haven't popped in for a while and sure didn't expect this. My thoughts and well wishes and positive vibes are with you all. I'm coming up short on inspirational things to say that don't sound trite, so, I'll leave you with the sentiment that I'm thinking of you. Email if you need to talk.

SouthernChickie said...

Gurl, I'll be praying for you both!!

Anonymous said...

Steph~ I have not talked to you in so long... please callme we need to catch up. Iam here if you need anything. My prayers are with you!!
Melinda

carmilevy said...

Hi Steph. I was poking through some old entries on my blog and decided to visit some folks I hadn't seen in a while.

Please know that I am praying for you, for your daughter, and for your whole family. Cancer has touched my immediate family enough times that I know what it's like to be in that waiting room chair.

With you in her corner, I know she'll do fine. Sometimes, mom is all we need.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It's been a whole month since you posted...And I certainly hope the news is better than this entry. My neice went through this same type of cancer...and though the treatment was difficult, she has been in remission for over five years now....!
Thanls for stopping by and my prayers are with you and yours.

shoparound said...

I'm so sorry about your daughter. I'll be thinking of both of you and hoping for the best. Update when you can. I'll keep checking back. Hang in there! :)

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Prayers for you all on this end. You have the support as I'm sure she does. Be sure to use it and know you and your girl are brought in prayer before a Good Father who loves you both more than anyone can dream.

Take care,
Mark
(Jon's friend)

afromabq said...

i too just popped in and enjoyed catching up on your old posts (especially loved the cell phone text conversation).

i think it's awesome that you found a doctor who you trust, because that will help with the mental part of keeping your spirits up. but of course we know who's in control ultimately. my prayers will be for a complete healing of your daughter and that the doctors will know how to treat her illness. you hang in there and do please keep us updated when you have the strength. God bless your family.

twobuyfour said...

All okay?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Just checking back in, my dear...WAnting to see if you have posted anything. I see that you haven't but I just want to say, I hope things are alright...or as alright as they can be....
May 2008 be a better year, in every way! I send you Hugs! It is December 31st, 2007...

brad johnson said...

oh my....of all my terrific memories about you, are the ones of your babies being around the office, and because I LOVE LOVE LOVE (did I say LOVE) my daughters, being the parent of a daughter, and getting a hug through the day from your daughters was the best.

If I could take all the hugs that precious angel gave me over those years and wrap them tenderly around her heart and mind for peaceful comfort, I would do it....

As a matter of fact, I think a trip to the OC is in order to deliver those hugs in person.

In the meantime, even in the depths, (of your heart, of your fears, of hers, of your hopes, of hers), even there....HE IS!!!

Fall asleep in HIS arms. He'll stay awake.

Brad