Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"...and gettin' caught in the rain..."

For my friends and family who love me, but probably realize that I don't always think things through...this is just for you...
I went to the grocery store after work the other night and when I came out it was pouring. Not just a little bit, but a total downpour where I could barely see cars a few feet in front of me. Seriously, it looked like something out of a movie. I had an umbrella in my purse, so it covered me but not the cart full of bags I had, and of course I had paper because the entire community of Pleasantville makes you feel guilty if you don't recycle with these paper bags. By the time I got to my car, my bags were soaked through, and there were 12 pack cans of lemonade under the cart that were wet, too. Since I couldn't hold the umbrella with one hand and put the groceries in the trunk quickly, I figured I was just going to have to get soaked, so I put the umbrella over the cart (in an attempt to keep the bags somewhat dry) while I opened my trunk. My trunk is the kind that opens out and you have to kind of push things into it, you can't just set them in like in a sedan. I bent down to get one of the twelve packs under the cart and by the time I got it to about my waist, it collapses and I'm left holding nothing but a small, wet piece of cardboard. The cans start rolling away in 12 different directions. I could really give a rip about twelve cans of lemonade, but I was a little worried that if I left them in the parking lot, people would think I was a litterbug, so I had to chase down twelve rolling cans of lemonade in the parking lot, in a downpour! I looked like SUCH an idiot! I threw the cans in the trunk and started on the rest of the bags. They were still covered with the umbrella, which was doing absolutely no good. I was so pissed, I threw the umbrella on the ground and started loading. Of course, the bags were tearing as soon as I touched them, so I just started picking them up and literally heaving them into my trunk like they were bowling balls. I didn't care what was in them, if it was breakable or would spill. I just did not care. By the time I was done, there was not an inch of me that was dry, my hair was soaking wet, all stringy and sticking to me, I looked like a drown rat. My makeup was streaking down my face, and my purse was filled with water. It was hysterical! I got in my car and just started cracking up at how hideous the whole thing was. Whatever visual you may get of how bad I looked, trust me, it was worse!
Tom came over last weekend and turned half the garage into a game room for the girls, and I can't park in the other half until I get rid of all the old bikes and stuff like that this weekend, so I went home, parked in my driveway and went through the whole thing again to unload the groceries in these wet, torn bags! When I got in, two of my Jr High girls that come over every Tuesday were already there, so I re-enacted the whole thing for them and they were rolling! It was actually a great time. :)

No comments: