Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Text Messages From Hell...

I am not a texter. Never have been. Don't think I ever will be. Not even if I had one of those cool phones with a keyboard built in like my daughters. I don't mind receiving text messages. In fact, most of the time the funny ones make me laugh. But don't expect me to return it. I might even forward the occasional funny text. Recently my friend received a text that said, "Hey, the Irvine police just found a naked body with bad teeth and a really small penis. Just making sure you're okay. Call me." Now that's funny. I forwarded that one to several of my male friends. (By the way, John, that was a particularly funny text about Mary Tyler Moore this morning! :)
When my friends text me a funny story or my daughters text me to say they'll be home at 5 PM, okay. But don't text me and say, "Whatcha doing?" No. I'm not answering. You've already dialed my number, just hit SEND!!! Call me and have a conversation, damn it!
So what is prompting this tirade on texting? There's this young man named Mike. I met Mike through a mutual friend and we've all had drinks together several times. Mike's a very nice guy who unfortunately took quite a liking to me in spite of the fact that I'm 10 years older than him. 10 YEARS! It's not gonna happen! But Mike gets my number from my friend and has been texting me for awhile now. I've said multiple times that there's no way I'm going out with him, but I have seen him since then with our friends. I think he's counting on wearing me down, but I can't go there (in spite of what you may have read about me here). Anyway, he texts me continually even though I've told him I don't like to text and I probably won't respond. He continues to text with questions that require a response and I just end up looking rude when I don't respond. He also keeps asking if I want to get together, just for coffee or something. If we were friends that would be fine, but that's not his intention. Here is how the texting went this morning...

Mike: "Good morning cutie" (Yeah. He's in diapers and calling me cutie.)
Steph: "Hey."
Mike: "Want to get coffee this morning?"
Steph: "No, I can't. I'm already at work and I'm swamped."
Mike: "I get the feeling you're not interested. Am I wrong?"
Steph: "MIKE! I'm sorry, I can't have a conversation by texting. It drives me crazy and it's so one-dimensional. Call me later if you want to have a real conversation."

Of course, that whole last text WAS a conversation - the kind that drive me insane!! I'm sure I won't be hearing from Young Mike anymore, so at least I won't have to explain again why I can't date a man in his 20's.

Am I over-reacting? Does this drive anyone else crazy? Am I just really old?

**By the way.....Tune into American Idol tonight to see none other than the legendary BARRY MANILOW sing live from Las Vegas!!!! :)
Whoo-Hoo!!

7 comments:

John said...

Okay, let me first answer the three questions. No! Definitely Yes! And, definitely, most definitely NO!

My daughter taught me how to T9 text so we can send little notes back and forth. Kinda like our own little Hallmarkian moments. It's my way of letting her know that I'm thinking about her, (and we have unlimited FREE texting so...) but I much prefer actually speaking! I send you texts knowing full well that your not 'a texter'. Not expecting anything in return, just to make sure you're still smiling.

p.s. I'm glad you liked today's little ditty :)

Anonymous said...

As a mother of three fine young boys (2 in high school, one in college) I must say that I am with you on the technology thing. It's just not my cup of tea.
However, not to sound like I'm chastising you, but, did Mike not ask you rather susinctly whether you were interested or not? I think THAT would have been the opportune time to say "NO!" I'm finding out through my boys' tears that they much prefer the truth be conveyed (in a kind way of course) outright, rather than a series of maybes or complete silence. It's funny that I read your blog just now since my college boy called last night from the east coast with this very question: "mom, why can't women just say 'yes' or 'no'?
Growing up a girl I had no idea how much goes into just calling a girl. My boys are full of angst and anguish for days before they'll even pick up the phone to call a girl they like! So I guess what I really wanted to say is, why don't you just call Mike (it's not the 80's anymore so I think it's legal:)and say "mike, no thanks, you're nice but don't call or text me anymore."Since you already said he's not interested in friendship, he's gone. You're done!!
God, I just rambled on like a mother to someone I don't even know...I'm sorry. I guess you just touched a nerve.
By the way I LOVE your Monday Memories. Very touching.

Anonymous said...

i so hear you. i'm dating a younger guy and all he ever does is text me and it drives me nuts! sometimes they're very sweet and cute, but other times it gets annoying cuz i'd rather he just freaking called. lol.

Jenni said...

My brother-in-law refuses to use the voice option on his cell phone and it drives me crazy.

I'm not a texter either.

By the way, I'm going to be in Laguna Beach for a wedding in September...I'll text you when I get in.

;)

Steph said...

Marianne - I get what you're saying. I'm always so afraid of being the bad guy though, and I know I'm going to have to be firmer than I would like to get it through his head. Don't apologize for giving the advice, it's totally something I would do!

Kate - I think it's a young thing (not that you're not young), but it's just not something we did and now everyone under the age of 25 just texts eachother instead of calling.

Jen - I'm so stoked you're coming out. E-mail me the details!!!
I can't wait!

carmilevy said...

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to take a hint. Mike's inability to truly understand what your saying is pretty much a death knell for any continuation of this charade. Even if you WERE inclined to overlook the age difference thing, he sounds like he's a bit foggy in the getting-the-message department. Pass.

Unknown said...

I'm with you on texting. I took the option off our phones because I learned that my daughter was texting her friends (and they were texting back) during school. As in, during class! That was the end of texting for our family. If you can't speak to me in a real voice, then send me email, but don't even bother texting.

Here via Michele