Monday, June 06, 2005

Robbing the Cradle. Again.

I have to admit, I have a thing for younger men. I haven't always, but the older I get...well, you know. I know it sounds a little gross, but it's not intentional. I just happen to meet more younger men than men my age. In fact, in my entire life, I have only dated one man who was older than me. My ex-husband was my age and literally everyone else has been younger. At first, the age difference was just like two or three years, but then it became more like five, and awhile ago, six.
Now, in my defense, I really don't look my age (and I've been told I don't act it, either), so I tend to attract men who think I'm closer to their age, sometimes with hysterical results. Often times, I'll be out with friends and meet someone considerably younger than me. When the conversation gets around to them asking for my phone number, or whether or not I'm seeing someone, I'll always jump in and tell them up front how old I am and that I have two kids (one who is actually 14 years old!). Men have been known to scurry like mice when I tell them I'm 38 years old! My friends and I have gotten some good laughs out of it on more than one occassion!

When I was in Vegas recently, I ended up sitting at a blackjack table for several hours with this very cute young man named Travis (that's your first clue right there - no one born before 1974 is named Travis). I didn't start gambling until 1 AM and we were sitting at the same table for so long that we eventually made it our new goal to gamble until the sun came up. And since you can walk around Vegas with alcohol, he said, "When the sun comes up, we'll go outside and toast the new day!" How cute is that? So at 6:30 AM we went outside and walked around Vegas with the streets clean and empty and prettier than usual. Now Travis is not a bit deterred by the fact that I'm a hundred years older than him (He's 30. JUST turned 30 in March!). In fact, he's driving up from San Diego tonight to take me to dinner. I almost cancelled, thinking that since we obviously have very little in common, why waste our time? But I'm going. I figure if he's nice enough to call me every day for a week and a half, and drive an hour to see me, it's the least I can do.

I'll keep you posted. And I'll try not to lean over and cut his meat.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Awwwwww! CUTE! I don't see anything wrong with it! 30 and 38 are not that big of a difference. Let me know how it goes!

Charlie Mc said...

I won't elaborate on his meat....hahaha :)

Darcey said...

Honey, enjoy it! Not that I could date someone 8 years younger than me (as, in this state that's called statutory rape), and I usually end up with guys who are a few years older than I am, but I say go for it!

Anonymous said...

It's so sweet that he's calling you a lot and coming all the way out to see you. Go, go, go. What do you have to lose?

Now Charlie, I'm shaking my head at him. :)

supplymadam said...

Nothing wrong with that. My girlfriend is 46 and her husband is 39. The law of averages is that women live longer(clean living that is)so hopefully they grow old together.
What about these guys like Rod Stewart and Larry King(I know the money is an issue)but who wants to kiss a wrinkled neck when you can get a nice tight skinned one? I can't even imagine faking to enjoy kissing Larry King.

Jillian said...

Good for you!! I'm 41 and my boyfriend will be 32 next week. We get along great!!!

Kat said...

Good for you! I went out with a couple of guys younger than me before I got married. I found most men don't mature much past 16 anyway, so what does their real age matter? lol. Thanks for visiting my blog.