Sunday, June 05, 2005

Thank God It's Monday?

Never thought I'd hear myself say that, but I am so looking forward to this weekend being over. This was one for the books. So allow me to bitch and moan for a minute about my weekend...

I have two active little girls - club level athletes, which means my life is not my own. This weekend, they both had tournaments. I'm a single mom and their dad doesn't help with the sports end of things, so I'm on my own. Friday night, my friend Chera invited me over for a BBQ (where she made "beer-butt" chicken - some of the best I've ever had!! Let me know if you want the recipe!), and I gladly accepted because I knew I was in for a tiring weekend.

Saturday rolls around and I have to be at the soccer field at 6:45 AM. Not my daughter, just me. Parents had to volunteer for the tournament since we were hosting it, and I got stuck with the first shift. So, at 9:00 AM, I head back home, wake up the girls, back to the soccer field for game #1. There's another game at 4:45, but I have to take my other daughter, the volleyball player, to Anaheim (45 minutes away) for her Regionals by 2:00 PM. Back home for the second soccer game, then back to Anaheim for the second VB game, ending at 10 PM. The tournament continued today, and depending on how they did, they could play anywhere from our home gym (5 minutes away) to La Verne (1 1/2 hours away) and either way, they had to be there by 7 AM this morning. We got stuck in Torrance (1 hour away). So last night, home to bed and up at 5:30. Thanks to my little girls angel of a soccer coach, I didn't have to worry about her after her second game on Sat. because she went home with her family and back to the fields Sunday morning. Have I lost anyone yet?...

Sunday...I get woken up at 2:00 AM by one of my closest friends who is at a party and has had quite a bit to drink (yes, the Midnight Phone Call strikes again). He was at a friends birthday party and was waiting for a car service to pick him and take him home since he had been drinking. I guess he just wanted to talk. He had a fight with his girlfriend earlier that night, so she didn't go. He asked if he could call me back in a half hour. I guess the car service wasn't showing up and he was going to call and track it down. He calls an hour and a half later, casually asks me how my day was and when I ask about his night, he tells me that he just crashed his truck, after falling asleep at the wheel. He got tired of waiting for the car service, was mad at his girlfriend, decided 'screw it - I'm driving myself home' and now crashed his truck! This is someone that I care about so much and of course, I stressed about it for the rest of the night (morning!). He said he was at a rest area, his truck was on the side of the offramp leading to the rest area and he was just hoping that none of the three state troopers in the area put two and two together. Then all of a sudden, he said he had to go and I didn't hear from him again. Nice. (I texted him today saying, "Let me know you're not in jail," and his response was, "Funny you should ask..." That's never good.)

So we get to Torrance by 7 AM. Being an hour away, there's no chance of me making either of my other daughter's two soccer games, so I'm calling my friends to try to get someone to go watch her play, cheer her on and possibly take her home afterward. At one point during the game, my little girl (even though she kicks ass on a soccer field, she's soooo little) takes a hit so hard, she goes down flat. I guess they had to stop the game and the hit to her head was so hard, she couldn't see for a minute. This is my baby and I wasn't there! Luckily, her coach was there and handled it. I also missed her score two goals and make a killer slide tackle!

My older daughter's volleyball tournament goes well, but during the last match (six hours later), she goes for a hit that someone else goes for, they collide, and we end up in the Emergency Room. Yeah. She's going to Reno in three weeks, to Nationals, and this could have messed that up for her. Luckily she only sprained her hand, which means sitting out of practice for a week or so.

A huge part of me insists that I add...does this make me a 'soccer mom?' Even though I drive a little convertible and not the requisite mini-van or SUV? Please say no. When did I get this old?

Let's recap...Two hours of volunteering at the crack of dawn, four soccer games, eighteen volleyball games, six hours of driving, five hours of sleep (all weekend), one friend who is potentially in the pokey, one trip to the ER, and the biggest guilt trip a mom can have for not being there when my baby got slammed.

So, yeah, this is only the rantings of a single mom who is feeling a little overworked and underpaid at the moment. But I knew what I signed up for, and I wouldn't change it. My little girl's team took third in her tournament, and my older girl's team took second. I'm really tired, but you know what? My girls kick so much ass! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid it's true...you ARE a soccer mom...of a unique variety! And it's quite okay because obviously you're much more than that. I think we need only ask the friend who called 'just to talk' @ 2 A.M.!! Or if we asked either of your daughters who their greatest, most vocal and supportive fan was...if that's a 'soccer mom' well, raise your hand, that's you!
Good job Steph! Just for the hell of it, sleep through Monday!!

Anonymous said...

I will never complain about a boring weekend again!

supplymadam said...

Wow, power to you! I'm exhausted now. Kudos to all the single mom's out there!
One of my friends was raised by a single and very strong mom. Her dad walked out on them when she was 5 months pregnant with her 5th child. The oldest being 9. She has the strength of her mom and it made her one of the most understanding and kindest people I know. She had a great role model!

Jenni said...

Wait..."Beer-Butt Chicken?" Do tell! And YES, you're a total soccer mom, but that's OK!
Your girls are very lucky to have you as a mom...just remember that!

Steph said...

Thanks, Jen!!
Here's the chicken recipe...

Take a whole chicken - make sure all the insides are taken out.
Rub the chicken down with olive oil and rub some garlic powder & seasonings.
Open a can of beer and make sure it's only 3/4 full (good time to drink!).
Add lemon juice and fresh thyme into the beer.
Place the crevice of the chicken onto the beer and put onto a grill standing up. (Not on direct heat ~ what I tend to do is - I have three burners - I use the two on the outside.)
Make sure the heat is between low-medium and cook for about 1 1/2 hours.
Chicken is done when juices run clear.

Try it - it's so good!!

Anonymous said...

Girl..I just got tired READING about your weekend...do you know what's up with your friend yet?

Congrats to your girls..hard work pays off!