Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Blogging Brilliance 6.1.05

Okay, here's the next thing I would love to hear everyone's opinion on...
the mother in Tennessee who hired a stripper for her son's 16th birthday party.

(The full text is below if you haven't read this one yet...)

DO YOU THINK THIS MOTHER SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR HIRING A STRIPPER FOR HER MINOR SON?

What do I think? I actually think she should. I think when you're that age, it's your parent's job to protect you from growing up too fast and experiencing those kinds of things. I realize when kids reach a certain age, their decisions are their own. As a parent, you can only hope that you've taught them to make the right ones. But to actually push them down the road of what was probably pretty trashy, I just don't think that's okay. If I were the parent of one of the other boys, I would be pretty pissed that she made that assumption for my child.

On another note, maybe we should just arrest her for stupidity...taking the pictures to be developed at the drug store? What did she think was going to happen?

What do you guys think? Also, did anyone have a mother like that?


NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A mother faces criminal charges after she hired a stripper to dance at her 16-year-old son’s birthday party.

Anette Pharris, 34, has been indicted by a grand jury on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and involving a minor in obscene acts. The boy’s father, the stripper and two others also face charges.

“I tried to do something special for my son,” Pharris said. “It didn’t harm him.”

About 10 people under the age of 18 were at the birthday party in September, including minors who were not related to the family, authorities said.

Police spokesman Don Aaron said minors are not permitted in adult establishments.

“A person shouldn’t be allowed to circumvent that law by hiring a stripper, a lady who took all her clothes off and spent a good amount of time dancing around minors,” he said.

Anette Pharris took photos at the party and tried to have them developed at a nearby drug store. Drug store employees notified authorities, police said.

“Who are they to tell me what I can and can’t show to my own children?” the mother said.

4 comments:

Charlie Mc said...

I'd definitely make he go to some kind of parenting classes, not sure about jail.....

Miss_Vicki said...

I honestly don't think it's that big a deal. Not the brightest move, but still, there's far worse that parents are doing to their kids.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Steph. The mother is obviously not very bright and she IS contributing to and condoning something that is illegal (as well as 'trashy') to her son and his friends.

As far as what miss vicki said, just because there are parents doing far worse things doesn't mean it should go unpunished. Just ask any death row inmate and they'll say "at least I didn't bludgeon 10 people to death like Joe over there, I only stabbed 3!" The law is absolute-not relative to severity.

Jenni said...

Well, as long as she supplied the booze and weed I think everything should be A-OK! ;)