Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My Pride and Joy...

My 15 year old daughter is beautiful. She's also incredibly intelligent. She was in the 'gifted' classes in elementary school, honors programs in Jr. High and made the honor roll all through 8th grade. Then she hit high school - she's now a Freshman - and everything changed. Her grades tanked. To put into perspective how badly her grades tanked, consider this scenario and the extreme parental reaction...
She plays volleyball. Not only on her high school team, but on an off season club team. She's very very good - only 5'5" but she's an outside hitter and although I'm her mother, let me just say...she kicks ass. Her club team won Nationals in their division last year, greatly in part to my daughter's hitting ability. She was chosen again this year for the Nationals team. Her grades, however, sucked. Her father and I decided to not let her go to Nationals (after plenty of warning about the grades). It was the hardest decision I've made as a parent, but her grades really suck that bad right now. I don't know why such an intelligent girl would let something so important slip so far, but she has. I realize it's an age thing. She's 15 - a little bit of this is to be expected, right? But then every once in awhile, I wonder if kids this age just lose knowledge and commen sense on an exponential level. She does have this uncanny knack for song lyrics. It's amazing, actually. She can hear a song just once and sing every single word the very next time she hears it. I've pointed it out to her many times.

This conversation actually took place between us the other day...

(By the way, she is loudly singing a song she is hearing for the second time)

Daughter: That's such waste of memory.
Me: What is?
D: The fact that I can remember song lyrics and nothing else, like what I need for school. I mean, why can't I remember science facts instead of song lyrics?
M: Maybe you put more value on the lyrics (She looks confused). I've seen you look up song lyrics on the internet. Maybe you should look up more important things, like what you study in your science class. (And then sarcastically, I add...) Maybe you should look up Nuclear Fusion.

And in all seriousness, my beautiful and gifted 15 year old daughter turned to me and said...

"Is that a lipgloss?"

8 comments:

twobuyfour said...

I stumbled upon your blog through your advice left on the Constant Evolution blog. Thank you very much for that advice and support. I assure you that we'll keep doing our best to be a beacon of love and support to the kids rather than stoop to their mother's level of manipulation and vindictiveness.
Your blog is excellent. I will be back frequently.

My float said...

There is scientific evidence to show that teenage brains are not aligned with those of the rest of the human race!

Nuclear fusion as lipgloss! That really made me laugh.

All kids can remember song lyrics. My two year old has memorised Wiggles songs and others. But do you think he can remember not to run onto the road? Or that breakfast comes before every other activity every.single.morning? No!

Good luck with the girl child!

Lisa said...

My five year old daughter knows song lyrics, and she routinely comments on my makeup techinques and on my shoes, so I think what you're dealing with is normal. Keep doing what you're doing (taking away Nationals? I think you were right.) It is truly the toughest job, being a parent!!!
V of F

John said...

Who knows? Maybe she already owns lipgloss called 'Clear Fusion';)

It truly is one of the hardest parts of parenting, letting your kids be kids and letting the consequences speak for themselves instead of adding "I told you so" on top of the consequence.

Besides, if she turns out to be even remotely like you, she'll be FINE!!

ThursdayNext said...

As tough as they are, I love teenagers and I feel fortunate to teach them each day, even if they are memorizing song lyrics and not how to write a sonnet in iambic pentameter. ;)

Anonymous said...

that just cracked me up. teens are a riot. lol.

Barry said...

I always envied those who could do that with lyrics - can you blame her about the lip gloss mistake?

http://www.beautysak.com/products.asp?mode=m&mid=368&s=GOOG&kw=lip+fusion

Sorry I had to look... ;)

Jenni said...

I am the EXACT same way. I know every lyric to almost every song that's popular or has been popular on the radio. Josh is constantly amazed at how I can hear something once and remember it...my mind is a steel trap.

Now here's the good thing, ever since I can remember when I would study I would make up music lyrics with the content I was studying for an exam...it works! I was on the A honor roll all through highschool AND did a pretty good job in college as well. Tell her to try it and see how it works! The only problem is when you're taking the test and tapping your foot and shaking your head to the beat of the music...that can get a TAD bit distracting.