Friday, July 14, 2006

Good Times...



I've been thinking that I've really had so little to blog about lately and so I haven't taken the time to sit down and write. As I was thinking today, however, I realized that I've had so many cool things happen over the last week, that I'll just throw those out and hopefully, you guys will enjoy hearing about them.

~ First and Foremost...Yup! See those purple flowers up there? Just arrived today from my sweet friend John, the one I absolutely don't deserve. No reason, just to make me smile - and they sure did.

~ On Sunday of last week, I got to pick up my daughters from the airport after they had been gone for about a week. It was a good break for a few days, especially after having my entire family at my house the previous week, but then I just really missed them. Picking them up was a treat! My friend Sara went with me and they just cracked me up from the minute I walked into the airport. As we're driving home, my 11 year old says from the backseat, "Guess what?! We sat next to the nicest lady on the plane! She gave us gum!!" And then, totally deadpan says, "Only she poured it out of an envelope and now I can't feel my tongue." She is hysterical, and her comic timing is perfect!

~ On Tuesday night, my friend Chera and I went to a wine tasting at a local wine bar. We do this occasionally, but it wasn't our borderline alcoholic tendencies that got us there that night - it was our cheap asses. They were giving away a free insulated double wine bag with bottle opener to the first 20 customers. Needless to say, we were on it!

~ Last night, my girls were at their dad's house so Chera came over for some martinis, and I whipped up some chicken Caesar salads. We spent the entire night sitting on my kitchen counter while discussing a book that Work in Progress turned me onto called The Wisdom of a Starry Night. It is the coolest book with a beautiful work of art on one page and a thought provoking question on the other, such as "Who is in your inner circle?," and "When do you feel at peace?" I absolutely LOVE this book (thank you WIP) and it made a great night for Chera and I last night as we went through it answering the questions to each other.

~ And last, but certainly not least...I had one of the greatest experiences of my recent past just a couple of nights ago. As some of you know, I'm approaching a milestone birthday. To paraphrase Carrie Bradshaw, I'm getting ready to check the next box. Turning the big 4-0, and not adjusting very well to my impending old age. Knowing that makes this story all the more sweet. While out a couple of weeks ago, I met a very young man who wanted to take me out sometime. Now I have admitted that I do have a thing for younger men (a sad reminder), but it's not like it's really ever going to work out with an enormous age difference. But it was flattering and I really thought why the hell not go for one drink? So I met this young man, whose name is Brian, at a restaurant in town with a patio. As we were walking outside to the patio, the owner stopped us to let us know that they were only open for drinks, and then asked Brian for his ID. I continued to get settled in my seat and the conversation continued like this:

Owner: I'm going to have to see your ID, too.
Steph: Really?
Owner: Oh yeah. I have a daughter who's older than you.
Steph: Reeaalllly?
Owner (while he looks at my ID): Whoa. I didn't realize you were so old.
Steph: No problem! I appreciate you asking for it!

Meanwhile, at the next table, is a family eating dinner. After overhearing the conversation, the father said, "Okay, now I have to ask...because you don't look like you could be even be approaching 30! I need to know..."
To which I respond, "Thanks!! You're my new best friend. I LOVE you!!!" And he continues, "No, there's no way you're even near 30!" At which time he turns to his wife and say, "I'm sorry, honey, I have to ask her (looks at me)...how old are you?" I respond with, "I'm about an hour and a half away from turning 40." Both the man and his wife said, "WHAT?! NO WAY!" And of course, I am eating this up. Every single word of it! :) I said, "Let's do this again next week...same time, same place, okay? Here let me buy a drink for my new best friends!" It was hysterical! Then to make the night even funnier, the man turns to my date and says, "Alright...now I really have to know...how old are you?" Brian replied, "Twenty-seven." The man went nuts. He said, "Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh!!!!!!" I looked at his wife and we smiled, both knowing that if we weren't there, they be locked in a man-hug, with this man high-fiving Brian and patting him on the back! That whole experience was about enough to sustain me through the rest of the year! :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

10 comments:

John said...

While for the most part I tend to procrastinate too much, there is now one instance for which I wish I had waited 10 years to do...and that is, to be born! Damn!
Nah. Come to think of it, even if I were younger than you, you'd still be WAY out of my league!! :)

Slim said...

Happy Birthday Steph!! And, if that picture you posted of yourself is even close to what you currently look like, then I'm not the least bit surprised by the reactions of those around you.

I had my birthday last week. I have one more year being a twenty-something and I intend to revel in every moment.

*BTW, Thanks for the plug :-) and you're welcome!

twobuyfour said...

WIP looks about 15 years younger than she is, too. Unfortunately that means I can't take her to an R rated movie.

I loved the gum story! "I can't feel my tongue." Hilarious.

I'm sure you've heard all the sad old saws about only being as old as you feel, but it is absolutely true. Take care of yourself. Laugh. Be aware of the world (and which direction you walk around the lake). Talk to people. Take risks. You'll never get old. I've seen women who could easily be in their upper sixties, or upper twenties - it's hard to tell if they take care of themselves and have that youthful attitude.

Barry said...

OK, you know this post would be much better if you had a pic of yourself and how you dont look 40. Ok I love pics I know, anyways... really it would be better

Anyone disagree?

ThursdayNext said...

bHappy Birthday! Aw hell, my twenties have sucked with struggle, so the older I get the happier I am! :) Cheers to you! The local wine tasting event sounded like SO much fun!

Steph said...

Thank you guys! Only I have to clear one thing up - me saying that I'm an hour and a half away from being 40 is just my smartass way of saying it's coming really soon. It's actually not until September. Sorry about that! But trust me...you'll know - because I believe in getting as much mileage as possible out of my birthday, so I mention it often! ;)

2x4 ~ Your comment on my other post about Katherine Hepburn is HYSTERICAL! I love that you took the leading ladies test...although from most of your comments, I always assumed you were more of a Rita Hayworth! :)

Barry ~ If I weren't so technically challenged, I would have posted a photo for my profile picture, but I can't figure it out no matter how hard I try.
Can you tell me how?

Slim said...

Steph-Here's how to post your picture:

Open two windows. In one, open up the 'Edit User Profile' page on your blog, in the other start a new post and post the picture you want for your profile picture. Then copy the picture and paste it into the box that says photo url on the user profile page. The photo should then appear in your profile and you can simply delete the post.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not computer savvy at all, it's a wonder I ever posted a picture on my blog.

shpprgrl said...

Don't worry about checking the next box..... It sounds like you've got it covered!! Congratulations on your youthful *glow*

Happy very early birthday, just in case you forget to remind us in blogland!

Anonymous said...

you are one hot chickie for a young 40 year old.

and can you share john with me? i need a friend like him.

you're a lucky girl in every regard.

karla said...

Martinis and ceasar salads with a girl friend? That sounds like maybe the coolest night ever. I want to be your friend, too, please. I make a great martini, too!