Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I didn't die. Swear.



But my life has been a little surreal again. It all started off innocently enough, during a little weekend trip to the river...

Doesn't that look like fun? :)

My girls and I enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc., and had an incredibly fun end of summer weekend. Then we drove home, and the following has transpired since...

~ On the way home, my car exploded. Remember the cute little pretty car I've described in the past? Yeah. It exploded. Okay, so maybe not literally, but the engine overheated so bad that all four cylinders were destroyed and now I need a new engine. I was 70 miles from the nearest services, my girls and I (and the dog, by the way) were sitting in 121 degrees for 2 1/2 hours before we were found. Good times. The good news is that I heard from the mechanic today and the warranty is covering absolutely everything.

~ The next day my mom had what should have been pretty minor surgery; an outpatient procedure. She convinced me that the doctor told her she had cancer and she had to stay with me to recover. Then she convinced the doctor that she needed to stay in the hospital for not only one night but two. Of course I didn't object because it meant less time at my house. I finally had to take her home because the doctor said there was no legitimate reason for her to be there and even she knew my mom was faking it. I took her home, but not before I lied and said I was going away for Labor Day weekend and she had to go home Friday morning. I know I'm going to hell for it. It was worth it. When I talked to my sister (who lives up north) on Monday she asked if I had talked to our mom to see how she was. I said no...had she talked to her? She said no, she was camping all weekend and had no cell service. I quickly hung up, called my mom and used the no cell service excuse before my sister could. Hey, she owes me for moving 426 miles away (a fact she reminds me of every time my mom has an attack of drama), and leaving me with a mom that will eventually land me on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

~ I started my Astronomy class and I'm loving it! The whole first chapter of my book is about scale - just how miniscule we really are in perspective to what's out there. It blew me away and I can't wait to read the rest!

~ I'm going to a seminar tomorrow morning that my company is sending our office to called "GET MOTIVATED!" Well, okay.
I'm actually really excited. It has some awesome speakers lined up and I'm excited to see what I can learn from them.

~ I started going to the gym again and it's kicking my ass. Enough said.

~ I just watched one of the best movies I've ever seen and I think you should all run out right now and rent it. Go. Now. No really. Go.
It's called the House of D. Obscure little title, great movie! Go get it. And tell me if you did, because I want to know how much you loved it.

~ Right now it's 11:06 PM, which means it's technically still the 6th of September.
17 days and counting 'til I check the next box. And don't think I'm not counting.

6 comments:

twobuyfour said...

Well it sounds like you've been having an exciting little end of summer. We've seen "House of D" and I agree with you - it's a wonderful little movie. I recommend it too.

Sorry to hear about your car. I've had my share of car trouble, but never that particular one. I'm glad everyone came out of it alive. I think that's how the poor folks in "Tremors" first saw the monsters - their car broke down in the desert. You are lucky you survived.

Here's good wishes towards your mother.

Slim said...

Wow. That car thing would have left me crying like a baby asking "What do I do NOW?"

Kudos on taking a class! That's great.

We still owe a late fee on House of D. Yes, it was a good movie.

John said...

I will certainly second the motion on 'The House of D'...excellent movie! (thank you again.)

And, just so you know, you will never be miniscule to me :)

p.s. Great pic of the 3 of you.

Barry said...

Nah - you gotta be here to have a car explode and be in 121 degree heat :P

Steph said...

I'm glad you guys all saw it and loved it.

Barry ~ you're so right! I have no bragging rights to car explosions, I think you've got that cornered. :) Maybe I was exagerating just a little.
The 121 degrees - now THAT was real. It sucked.
Stey safe out there.

shpprgrl said...

That car story....arrrgghhh! It's horrible that you were stranded. I hope that your mom is ok.