Monday, October 17, 2005

My Baby Girl

For those who don't know me...my daughter just started high school. She's 14, a freshman, and pretty. I knew before she ever started that I was screwed. Not only a freshman, but a pretty one, and a volleyball player. Who doesn't like the cute volleyball girls? Her Homecoming dance is coming up this weekend and by last week, five (FIVE!!) boys had already asked her. She finally said yes to the fifth one. One was a junior. I pretty much told her that she would go to the dance with a junior over my cold dead body. She understood. So after being asked to Homecoming by five different boys (did I mention one was a sleazy junior bastard who has no business even looking at my daughter?), she got her braces off on Friday. You know how you can picture how someone will look without them and you know they'll look better? Well, I had no idea. She doesn't just look better - she looks exponentially better. Out of control better. Okay...I know I'm her mom. I know I'm not objective, but TRUST ME!!! Anyone who has seen her (with or without braces) will tell you how beautiful she is. I AM SCREWED!!! So some kid named Jared is the lucky little guy. He called the other night and has terrible phone manners, and I am a stickler about phone manners in teenagers. Poor kid has no idea how I plan on re-training him if he hopes to spend one minute with my daughter. I've done it before, I can do it again. The last kid that liked my daughter now says the following when he calls my house..."Hi, Stephanie! This is Alex. How are you?" I say fine, talk to him for a minute and then he asks if Livy is available. They have stayed great friends, so we laugh about it now, but I literally trained him in speaking to parents, and told him how it would serve him well when he was older. His parents thanked me. If I can train him, I can train an impressionable little guy like Jared.
So of course, they're doing the overpriced limo thing with a bunch of kids. And of course, I will be at whoever's house the limo is picking them up at, biting my tongue when the kid looks at my daughter like she's dessert, and testing for a firm handshake. I know, I know...I'm a psycho mom. But she's my baby. I think she was just in diapers like last week. When did this happen? When did she grow into this beautiful, self-assured, kind hearted and confident young girl? Not to mention so charming. Oh, damn. I know I'm going to cry on Saturday night. But don't worry, I'll wait until they drive away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww... i remember a pic you posted once of you and both your daughters. they were beautiful. no wonder the boys are after her.

i hope she has a wonderful time.

Steph said...

Kate - thanks, she is beautiful, and did I mention that I'M SCREWED?!

Betelgeuse - Way to handle that kid. I would have done the same thing. I'm so glad baggy pants are out or I would have to lock her up for the next four years just to keep her from dating someone with bad taste.
I absolutely was not like that in high school. I was a bonafide geek. Never got asked out on dates or to dances. Because of that, I think I love to see her experience it even more. She's so excited and I'm excited for her.
(But did I mention that I'M SCREWED?! :)

Anonymous said...

Knowing what I know about your relationship with both of your girls, I have to say that they are both VERY lucky to have you as their mom. I get the feeling that they'd know instantaneously whether you approved or disapproved of lucky little Jared (or whomever he might be) and trust the insights you've given them. Having girls is SUCH fun!!! Just hang on for the ride--you're doing great!

Jenni said...

You don't have a thing to worry about Steph, as your daughters have the most confidence in you as a mom and would come to you with ANYTHING.
When I was a Sophomore in Highschool I dated a Freshman in College, and I could tell that made my dad want to just jump out of his skin...and he did, once,and I was SO MAD at him, but now I realize that he was just trying to protect me. I dated the guy for three years and then it ended when I went to college, and to be fair to him he was a really good guy, but my dad was still right.

Just remember to take lots of pictures!! I wanna see one with her and her date!

Anonymous said...

OK, so I saw the title of this post over on the side bar and clicked it just because of the title. You're 39; I'm 40. My little girl is 5 - and exceptionally beautiful. As I read your post, I thought, "this is me in 9 years!" I read it to my husband and he agrees. Love your perspective!~

I, too, will be training young men in phone etiquitee. - Just as my hubby will be teaching them about keeping their pants on.