Saturday, June 24, 2006

Seven Days of Pure Corruption...

My girls and I are taking a road trip tomorrow. After my little one's soccer tournament, we're driving up to northern California to pick up my two little nieces, who are 5 and 3 years old. I get to bring them home with me and keep them for a week at which time my sister will pick them up and take them back home, after the requisite trip to Disneyland, of course. What she doesn't know is how much fun the girls are really going to have at Auntie Steph's house. They're already trained to know that when Auntie Steph is around, they get stuff. They pretty much get whatever they want, and I think it's only right that they do. That's my job and I take it very seriously. I'm going to spoil the little stuffin' out of them. It's been awhile since I had really little ones around the house, so it's going to be a week of water wings in the pool, trips to the lake and the beach, snickerdoodles for breakfast, you know...the usual. On the older one's 5th birthday last year, I drove up to spend it with her and she ran into the bedroom in the morning and said, "Guess what, Auntie Steph! I'm five today - I'm a whole hand!!" How stinkin' cute is that? So of course, I told her that I was going to make her a special breakfast for her 5th birthday - chocolate chip pancakes! And my sister vetoed it. Said she was going to have birthday cake that day and it was too much sugar. What kind of bullshit is that? For her first breakfast at Auntie Steph's house, she'll have none other than chocolate chip pancakes. With extra whipped cream.

But this week is also time for paybacks. You see, my sister is very strict, demanding only the best behavior from her kids and hasn't always appreciated my attempts at corruption. The sad part for her though is that I had children first and she set the standard for corrupting each other's kids. When my teenager was just two years old, my sister taught her the following dialogue...

Sister: "What does a doggie do?"
Daughter: "Ruff. Ruff."
S: "Good girl! What does a kitty cat do?"
D: "Meow. Meow."
S: "You're right! What does a ducky do?"
D: "Quack. Quack."
S: "Yup. Now, what does Mommy do?"
D: "Nag, nag, nag, nag, nag."

Yeah. Nice. Not to mention teaching her "See Food," and other slightly undesirable behavior for a child while in public. To this day, she's still bitter that she named a child after me, and I named a dog after her. So this is my chance at total and complete corruption. I've tried it in smaller doses in the past. This last Christmas, I had the 5 year old convinced that my sister got nothing but coal from Santa when she was a little girl. She now speculates on what her mother could have possibly done that was hideous enough for that unspeakable punishment, and to this day will offer possibilities as she thinks of them. But that was peanuts. I need to get serious about this and I'm taking suggestions. If you have any great ideas let me know. And yeah, the usual rules apply...you know...no one can get hurt, no permanent emotional damage, nothing that will get them in any serious trouble with their mother, blah blah blah. But let's get down to the most important qualification of a great suggestion...it must make Auntie Steph the hero. :)

I'll keep you posted.

10 comments:

twobuyfour said...

There are really only 7 deadly sins, right? It's not like there's a whole long list of things. I say you focus on those 7 and you'll be on the right track.

Are you likely to get repaid in kind when your kids go to her house?

John said...

I'm pretty sure that Auntie Steph will end up being the hero by virtue of the fact that she really is one.

Slim said...

One of our favorite breakfasts is french toast with bananas, pecans, and carmel sauce. Another favorite is homemade waffles, strawberries, ice cream and whipped cream. Either one is a nice and sugary start to the day.

Do you have any of those paint-your-own pottery placed nearby? Those are fun.

Barry said...

Obnoxiously loud games/toys are always a good idea to get back at someone...:P

Slim said...

Barry is right, you're in a position to do that! I don't purchase noisy toys for friend's kids because I haven't had kids yet. I figure if and when I do, they'd pay me back ten-fold.

Jewel said...

Send them home with lots of playdoh. Now, I never deprived my son of playdoh. We even made our own playdoh sometimes. But so many other parents, it seems, just hate the stuff. So guess what I always sent them home with? (Am I evil? *grin*)

Jenni said...

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall to see how this is going!

shpprgrl said...

Ditto!

I vote for a Monday memory on the story about Bret! You have the best friend stories!

Cin said...

She named a kid after you and you named a dog after her?

Bwahahahahahahaha!

You two are definitely siblings. Have fun with the swag and the payback!

Here from Michele's.

srp said...

Here from Michele again.
Corruption of nieces and nephews is the outright and strict duty of any Aunt or Uncle. My brother dotes on Nyssa even now that she is 20. It is your civic duty and I'm sure you will do your best. :)