Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday Memories 6.5.06




This is one of my favorite pictures in the whole world.

It was June of 2001, and I was with a group from my church. I had four friends on my team (I was the only girl), and a drover for our pack mule. We flew into Lima, Peru, took a charter flight to Arequipa, a 16 hour bus ride up and over a narrow portion of the Andes into the Cotahuasi Valley, and trekked for seven days until we came to this remote village at 13,500 feet. At our highest point, we were at 16,000. I can't imagine anywhere on earth being more remote, except maybe somewhere in the Amazon. We had nothing but some rough maps, a GPS, and a satellite phone in case of emergencies. We trekked for eight hours a day, filtered our own water from running streams, and basically flew by the seat of our pants the rest of the way.

We arrived in Arequipa ready to board the bus for the very long and winding trip through the mountains. While we were there, however, Peru was rocked with an 8.1 earthquake and the most severe damage was in the town square in Arequipa where we happened to be sightseeing at the time. Everyone pretty much ran for cover, but by the time it was over, the town square was almost in ruins. The church in the picture below, the Basilica Cathedral, built in the 1500's had lost one of it's towers. I have pictures of the church with both towers, and then some taken literally ten minutes later, with only one.




In Peru, you can buy antibiotics in drug stores without a prescription. So I took what spending money I had, bought up all the antibiotics, pain relievers and bandages we could find and started out. We had heard the villages had been hit very hard, and their houses made of mud and clay had crumbled. After reaching Cotahuasi, we took off on our trek, only now we found ourselves climbing over rubble and fallen rocks, instead of the neatly blazed trails the Cechuan people had created. On our way into one village, we came across the little girls in the picture above. They took us by surprise, as you can tell by what I'm wearing. It would have been culturally insensitive for me to walk into a village dressed like that. With more warning I would have put on a jacket and zipped on the bottom leg portion of my pants.

While we were there, we visited four villages much like this one, the largest of them with 100 people total. Each with beautiful children just like these little girls and people who were filled with love and hope, despite the catastrophe that had just occurred. They were so incredibly hospitable to us and so happy to have us there. They opened their humble homes to us, cooked for us, and sent us home with handmade gifts. The lessons we learned from them in humanity and kindness are deeply ingrained in our hearts. As we were leaving the valley, we were sent off with love and gratitude. We knew without a doubt, however, that although they were grateful for the help we brought during difficult times, we were the ones who were truly blessed by our visit.

7 comments:

YellowRose said...

What a wonderful memory!! It takes a special type of person to walk away from the comforts of the everyday life to give of themselves. You are one of those special people! Thanks for sharing this great memory!

My MM is up! Happy Monday!

Jenni said...

I remember you showing me this picture. You have done so many wonderful things, and have had so many great experiences...I am jealous!

John said...

I remember this picture! It's a warm setting. It's amazing isn't it? That when you reach out to touch someone you can't help but be touched in return. I'm sure the people in those little villages haven't forgotten your kindness to them to this day.

Way to go Steph! Thanks for sharing your experience here.

ThursdayNext said...

What a beautiful post, Steph.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a fantastic experioence...How memorable in every way...Oh I wish you had posted more pictures of this...But grateful you posted that top one...The resiliency of people is utterly awe inspiring, isn't it? All I can say is WOW! So very glad I stopped by tonight, Steph.

Barry said...

I always find it amazing how people who are 'poor' are so quick to share all they have, and to invite you into their homes as a special and welcome guest. I think it is a social thing we (especially me) could learn from them.

Sounds like great memories

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memory, you look so happy in the pic. So kind of you to help them out.