Thursday, December 08, 2005

Life Lesson #452.......

(If you missed the first 451, you haven't been paying attention.)

............Never, never, never, but NEVER burn your bridges.

I have this ex-boyfriend, my girls affectionately call him "the French Guy." Born and raised in Paris, out here for a few years, and yes - that romantic. We dated for a couple of years and he's an absolutely great guy. One of our biggest problems, however, was that we disagreed on the place of ex-boyfriends and ex-girlfriends in our lives (in my case, also an ex-husband). It drove him nuts that I'm friends with almost everyone I've ever dated. Not one or two dates, but if I spent any respectable amount of time with them, I'm still in touch with them today. And as far as my ex-husband goes...let's just say that just today, his wife and I bought Aerosmith tickets together so we could all go in February. Well, this sort of behavior drove the French Guy nuts. I attributed it to serious insecurity. My perspective is that if you care that much about a person, and invest a large amount of your life in them, how do you just cut them out of your life? Now, I'm not talking about everyone being friends right away; people get hurt and healing takes time. It took several years for my ex-husband's wife and I to become friends. But people grow, move on, heal. I feel that I have managed to end relationships with mutual respect, and the same qualities that attracted me to that person - their character, integrity, sense of humor, etc. - still exist in the friendships.
Okay.......all that to say this........I am in the process of buying a house. In fact, Escrow is supposed to close tomorrow. It's not going to. Hopefully next week, but I've hit a serious snag. Here's some background...As most of you know, I have recently gone from making no money to making a decent amount of money. So the first thing I thought was to buy a house (Okay, the first thing I did was buy a really bitchin' new car! But I digress...). This house was way out of my price range six months ago. In fact, a hut in Haiti was way out of my price range six months ago. So when my very good friend Scot (one T), who is a real estate agent, started talking to me about buying a house, I started considering that I could truly afford it - and I can. I found a house that I fell absolutely IN LOVE with. I wanted to put an offer down so who was the first person I called? YES - an ex-boyfriend named Todd. Todd and I dated for six years. Six years! From the time we were 16 until we were 22. That's not just dating - that's growing up together. We both know it. Those were some formative years. We've been friends since we were 13 years old and we both know how significant that is. When we were together, everyone including us thought we would get married someday. Our families were intertwined. When we broke up, I got married within a couple of years, but he waited until we were in our 30's and of course I was there. At his wedding, his grandparents still insisted I sit with them. Todd is married to someone who is absolutely perfect for him, but we both realize the importance and the impact that our relationship had on our lives. The only lull in our friendship was during the two years I dated the jealous French Guy, and I'm sorry I allowed his insecurity to take me out of Todd's life while his kids were being born.
Well, Todd is now the president of his own mortgage lending company, or whatever you call it. He has several branches throughout California (we always knew he'd be extremely successful), so of course I called him immediately. The conversation was really cool and I learned a lot about loans, but the most significant thing he said was, "Don't worry, Steph. I'll make sure no one makes any money off of you." Music to my ears. Really, it's the only reason I'm able to afford this house. I'm squeaking by as it is, and having to pay points or a higher interest rate would break the deal. If this thing actually goes through, I owe him big. Since I can't prove my income for more than a few months (and since a stated income loan will take the mortgage payment right out of my price range), he's calling in favors like you wouldn't believe. He's so well off he's been able to retire for years, and he's got a beautiful wife at home and two babies, yet he was at work last night until 7 PM trying to talk the president of a bank into taking my loan as is, convincing him that I'm not a risk. So I'm back in the game, when I thought it was over. I owe it all to Todd. I'm not glad he's in my life because of what he can do for me. I'm glad he's in my life because I have a friend that cares enough about me to fight for me.

P.S. The French Guy and I broke up two years ago and for the first time in his life, he's GREAT friends with an ex-girlfriend!

P.S.S. If anyone feels the urge to send out a prayer or two for my new house - it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

9 comments:

Jenni said...

CONGRATS Steph! Send me some pictures!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm sendind, I'm sending, I'm sending....can you feel the prayer coming your way? I know how important a house/home is: I LOVE my home; it is my sanctuary, my place to regenerate, to entertain, to be at peace with myself....So, I wish you ALL the luck in the world with this house...And I think it's fantastic that you are still good friends with all your previous important boyfriends,lovers,husband...

Anonymous said...

i think you're to be commended for remaining good friend with your ex's. and todd is an amazing guy for helping you out. congrats on the new job and the new house.

YellowRose said...

Sending one up for you!!! It's always good to never burn those bridges...never know when you may need to cross them again. ;)

Here via Micheles!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Steph....I'm here again because Michele sent me tonight...Still think it's wonderful that you are still friends with your ex's....And, I'm keeping the Good House Thoughts for you!!!

Steph said...

Thanks so much you guys!!
Jen - you know I have pictures and I will send them along.
Kate - thanks for your support. I think I'm right, too!
And OOOLOTH - I totally get your home being your sanctuary. Mine,too. Only noe it will be ALL MINE and I'll know I'll never have to leave it if I don't want!!

By the way, I GOT THE LOAN!!! I SIGN THE DOCS ON MONDAY!

John said...

I whole-heartedly agree with you on the situation with your ex. I still remember you saying 'sadly, they're alot of fun'. Obviously there are things about former boyfriends/husbands (in your case) that are still enjoyable and workable.

I'm happy for you and your girls finally having your OWN place! Yehaa!

Anonymous said...

Outing myself... a now former lurker.

Hi - congrats on Doc Signing Day! May it be a wonderful HOME for you and all.

Steph said...

Thanks everyone! I signed the laon docs today and Escrow should close Wednesday!!!
Moving day is Saturday, any volunteers? :)