Monday, December 12, 2005

Pet Peeve #5...

...Condescending people.

I got my house!! Yahoo! My loan went through at the rate I needed. My friend Todd made it happen and it's closing on Wednesday. I'm so excited!!

So here's my pet peeve...people who try to burst my bubble by being condescending. At least 95% of the people who I've told about my house have had the same reaction. Now remember, I live in a nice town; people who live here have money. Unless you're like me, however, and usually just squeaking by. But the houses around here are outrageously priced. My ex-husband has a beautiful home which goes for about a million bucks. My mom's house, the same house I grew up in right down the street, goes for about a million bucks. My house is not like that. In fact, it's a townhome meaning it's attached on the side. So whenever someone asks me about my house, how big it is and stuff, I describe how many bedrooms, bathrooms, give them the square footage, etc. and then I say, "It's a townhome, attached on the side." I figure not to mention that would be misleading because I'm definitely not buying one of those big detached homes that are so expensive. And almost every time, they respond with, "That's Okaaaaayyyyy.......!!!!!" Yeah. I know. They say it like it's really not okay, but since I can't afford anything else, then it's...well...okay. I'm really just so stoked and a little proud that as a single mom I can even afford to buy in this area. I seriously never thought I would be able to. The fact that my home is attached does not bother me at all, I'm just so excited to have it. But that reaction makes me feel like I didn't do good enough, like I'm settling.

I wonder if I just have baggage about this for some reason, like I'm overreacting to it. Maybe. But, jeez...enough already.

Oh well, I love my little attached house! :)

7 comments:

John said...

Steph, who the hell cares what 'they' think?! This is YOUR home. Yours!!!!
It could be attached on 19 sides and on the top and the bottom and middle, but it's still YOURS!! You just keep bein' stoked and tuck away in your own beautiful home. You deserve this one baby!! Way to go!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Good for you! Congratulations on your loan coming through and the fact that you are now the proud owner of a home that you love!!!
This was a long time ago, but I looked for almost three years for 'my' house...and when I finally found it I KNEW this was my house; the right house for me. People had opinions; judgements; etc. You know what I still LOVE my house as much as the day I bought it..maybe even more!!! So, don't let whomever dampen your terrific High because they have a problem you don't have! I say again, GOOD FOR YOU! And Hooray!

Anonymous said...

congrats!!!! i'd kill for my own place. i don't care what it is. screw all those condescending asses.

Jenn said...

I agree -- congratulations on being a homeowner!! I figure I'll be renting for the rest of my life since my ex is in the house and we can't seem to get our attorneys to help us get divorced. But I'm glad to hear of your success...and it is exactly that - success.

Jenni said...

Our arms are attached and we don't get grief over those...what a bunch of jerks...

CONGRATS!

Charlie Mc said...

all the best in your new home!!!!

Anonymous said...

Like Ferris Bueller... I quote John Lennon: "I can write a song. What can you do?"

You have a new home! That's a lot more than most can boast... and you're not even boasting.

Don't let 'em grind you down. Congrats!