Sunday, October 01, 2006

AWWWWWWWWW.......

I had the sweetest conversation the other day with one of my dealers. His name is Magnus. He's Swedish and looks much like I imagine a Nordic God would look. He has a really strong accent, which just makes him even cuter, and he's a really nice and sensitive guy.
There are only two people at this dealership and I usually call to speak to Alex, the owner, after talking to Magnus for a few minutes. I see them in person probably once every two weeks, over the last year and a half.
Magnus is always watching out for beach volleyball tournaments for my daughter and always wants to hear about what's going on in my life. He truly is as kind as he is gorgeous.
This is what he said, almost word for word...

"Steph! How are you?! I have to tell you something! (this part was a little funny to me, since I haven't seen him in about a week and I don't even do business directly with him) Someone called the other day and Alex answered the phone. Right away he started saying, 'OH! I'm so sorry! How did it happen? Please give the family our condolences.' And I tried to get his attention to find out who died, but he wouldn't answer me! He was on the phone for 15 minutes and he was so upset. Then he said, 'How is her daughter? She plays volleyball doesn't she?' And I thought. "IT'S STEPH!!' And I was so upset, Steph, I kept trying to get Alex's attention and I was asking, 'Is it Steph?!' But he wouldn't answer me, and I was so upset! I thought you were dead! And I cried! I didn't know what to do. I thought it was you. And then he hung up and said, 'No, it's not Steph.' And he told me who it was, but my day was already ruined. It made me so sad to think it might have been you! I just wanted to tell you that I care about you so much and I'm so glad you're okay!"

How cute is that?! And how nice it is to think about the impact we may make on other people's lives even when we don't know it.

______________________________________________________

P.S. On a completely unrelated note...Check out this picture of my daughter, the Unabomber.



See the resemblance?

Yeah, I think I'm funny.
_______________________________________________________

P.S.S. I recently saw this sign at the hospital where my mom had her surgery. For those of you who may not know, California has a "No questions asked" policy with babies. Sadly, we've developed a need for safe surrender sites, such as this one. With all of the idiots out there leaving their newborns in dumpsters and bushes, the state felt the need to give them this option.



Here's the great news...I checked and they DO take 15 year olds!! :)

11 comments:

Slim said...

So, a Nordic God who has a sexy accent was so concerned that something bad happened to you that he told you about it...um, when's your date? Hmmmm? Tell me one of you thought of it!

Your daughter is like a cross between you and the Unabomber.

Barry said...

That IS the Unabamber's sweatshirt!

twobuyfour said...

I've been telling people for YEARS how we influence everyone around us every day with every little thing we do. Do my kids listen? No. Does my fiance listen? No. Does anyone listen? No. Now you come up with the same idea and you're a genius.

Maybe I should add a Nordic god to my lessons from now on. THAT would get them to hear me.

John said...

Yay! I have a 15 year old that I'm tempted to drop off almost anywhere on any given day.

You're so funny!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I didn't realize this about California...Thank God for this option..But it is scary to think that there are so very many babies left in dumpsters, isn't it?

Love that picture of your daughter..Those teenage years....Hard!

That is amazing about that guy...It's exactly why I love the movie "It's A Wonderful Life". It is such a wonderful film, and if you don't know it, it's worth renting. It is about how each persons life touches so very many people and the impact of what would have happened had that person not lived at all. Do rent it!

afromabq said...

why didn't that other person just say "no,it isn't steph." stupid person.

so i'm wanting to know if he's a nordic god, why the heck aren't you dating him? i'm imagining gold curly hair (on head and chest). close??

cute unabomber!

ThursdayNext said...

Indeed, I think that its all wrong. I would gladly go pick UP babies and drop off teenagers! Especially the teens in my period 3 class!

Steph said...

WIP and AFROMABQ ~ Oh, yeah. Don't think for a second I haven't had the same thoughts. However, and this is huge, Magnus is just recently separated from his wife (still married) and I'm a firm believer in letting those things run their course and not dating anyone until those things are finalized. One of these days I'll try to get a picture of him. He's...WOW! :)


2x4 ~ I think adding a Nordic god that looks like Magnus is ALWAYS a good idea. And glad we're on the same page with the genius thing. ;)

Barry ~ ...and tell me those are the EXACT same sunglasses! :)

OOLOTH ~ I know, and I'm so sorry to admit that the only time I ever watched the movie, I fell asleep. I'll do better this Christmas, I promise! :)

Amy ~ I feel ya. I'm whining about one teenager when you probably have close to a couple of hundred!

Jenni said...

Do they take 30-year old husbands too?

;)

We could drop off your 15-year-old and my 30-year-old and head to the Hotel Laguna for cocktails on the terrace...

;)

Anita Baker said...

I need a job like yours and jenni's. i am so under appreciated at my current job!

that convo with the swedish dude was awesome!

ps. i forgot all about those baby sites. two years out of the state and i'm already forgeting about it. so sad.

shpprgrl said...

Sweet and hilarious all rolled into one post! She does look like him. :)

Did you get WS?