Sunday, September 06, 2009

"Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'."


I came across this song while listening to an old CD (and by the way, who listens to CD's anymore? I'm pretty sure they'll be the next casualty of the new millennium).

Hearing it again made me wonder when I switched teams. When did I check out of the "your sons and your daughters" group and join the "mothers and fathers"? And no, it's not obvious. I was still practically a kid myself when I had my first child. I marched in the California Peace March, had a bumper sticker on my VW Bug that said, "Give Peace a Chance," I dragged my dad out to the California desert to participate in Hands Across America, raising money to fight homelessness and poverty (OK, so maybe my motivation for this one may have been that I heard Tom Selleck was doing it in Hawaii. I figured that this would be the last sign he needed to see how much we had in common and that we should be together forever, but no. He never called. I cannot be responsible for a man who doesn't recognize God's will for his life. But I digress...). I refused to eat meat before it was popular, and was a card-carrying member of Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Fund. Where did THAT girl go? Grew up I guess. Definitely on to what I think are more prevalent causes. But damn, I sure miss that youthful idealism.

No comments: