Monday, January 23, 2006

Monday Memories...1.23.06

I joined the Monday Memories Club, which was started on a great website, that I would link you to if I could think clearly enough to link right now (I will do that shortly, I promise). Although Monday only has about an hour left, and I am exhausted, I wanted to get this down while I had it in my head. I came across the concept of Monday Memories and fell in love with it. What better way to honor the incredible people in my life, and my experiences. I've been so tired though lately, and hung up on a little silly graphic that I let Monday almost come and go without writing this post (Yes, I'm that anal that a little graphic can hang me up for that long).

Although I'm not writing about the memory that I originally intended, and it's a little early to be adding a twist to this new concept of Monday Memories, it is what is on my mind right now.

Today is my youngest daughter's 11th birthday. As some of you know, I wake my daughters up each year at exactly the time they were born, crawl into bed with them and re-tell the story of the day they were born. I usually end up getting very emotional about it every year! They used to love it, then they made fun of me for it, now they expect it and once again love it. So this morning, my 14 year old and I went into the little one's bedroom, laid down on either side of her and started her special day with stories of how glad we were that she entered the world, and our lives. Friday her dad and I took her snowboarding for her birthday, so today was pretty low-key. She went to school, I picked her up and brought her to my office (which she loves), let her choose the restaurant for dinner, picked up her best friend and then came home to open gifts (I only let my girls have a party every other year and this was an off year). She loved her presents and kissed me goodnight saying what a great day she had.

Even though it was a great day, that is not the focus of this Monday Memory. When my girls went to bed, I took a long bath in my new bathtub, then went downstairs to turn off the lights. I passed my girls rooms where I knew they were sound asleep and missed the days of when I could crawl into bed with them and sleep all night, listening to them breathing. I stopped doing that because I became too obsessed with the perfect night's sleep. I walked down my beautiful hand built wooden stairs, past the little black cat, the incorrigible puppy in her crate, and the brand new little Betta fish named Bono, and went in the kitchen to turn off the lights. While I was walking down the stairs, looking down into my living room and my new house, I flashed back to earlier in the night when we were in that very room with my daughter while she opened her presents. I thought about tonight and I thought about the future. I wondered what kind of memories I will have in this new house, as there will undoubtedly be more than I can imagine. Every Christmas yet to come, every Prom night, every birthday just like today. I wonder how many happy years we'll spend in this house, because although I bought this house intending to stay here forever, one never really knows. I wonder if this will be the house where my daughters' fondest memories will originate. I wonder if my daughters will feel relieved when they walk through the door after a brutal semester at college. I wonder if I've created enough traditions and memories to sustain them when they feel far away from home.

Our memories, for as long as we can remember, have been of just the three of us. Their dad and I have been apart for so long that neither one of them, or even I for that matter, can remember back to when we were together. So it's always been just us, and we've always been thankful for each other. Sometimes I worry about what memories they're missing because of that; if they will remember our family as being "incomplete." I don't think so, though. I think we've done alright for ourselves. And 20 Christmases from now, I think we'll look back, not on what was missing during these years together, but of the incredible love that we have for one another, the gratitude we now feel for finally having our "own space," and the incredible memories of birthdays just like today.

7 comments:

John said...

Wow Steph, that was beautiful and thoughtful! It's been clear to me since I have known you that your girls are priority one. I, for one, am in awe of the relationships you've fostered and nurtured with them. While I know there will always be a question of 'what could have been', rest in the fact that you've provided for them a warm, safe nest from which to launch and, eventually, fly back to to regain strength to fly strong for the rest of their lives.

Jenni said...

I'm now holding up my glass of white tea and toasting you to many many wonderful years in your new home. Your girls are very lucky to have you...and vise versa!

Running2Ks said...

Oh Steph, happy birthday to your daughter, and may I salute you with a big "cheers" for the love you all share!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How very lovely! Yes, I think you are sooo right. When you look back twenty years from now you all will remember what you had and have...cause, from what I've read, you all do have an incredible love for one another...
How great is that?
IT'S FABULOUS!!!!
I love your tradition of waking your girls up at the very time they were born and telling them what they mean to you!!! This is soooooo very dear!

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

that would be a strange scence when your daughter hits 40.

~michele sent me ;)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Michele sent me tonight and I always enjoy coming to see you....I still love that you celebrate your kids Birthdays in the way that you do...

carmilevy said...

This one resonated deeply. Your words speak richly of home. And if the future plays out as happily as this entry does, your kids will end up with wonderful memories indeed.

Wow.