Thursday, April 28, 2005

I HATE American Idol!!

I've become reality TV junkie. I used to pride myself on the fact that I only watched the first season of Survivor and then just said NO to reality TV. Then a little more creeped in and I started watching just the last two episodes of each Bachelor and Bachelorette series (but not anymore - do those girls actually beg to stay on?). Who really needed to see all of the lead up episodes anyway, really the end result is all that matters, right? When the Apprentice came out I was glued to the first season because I figured it was about business and that's cool - I figured it wouldn't have the drama of the other shows. And of course, I'm a huge country music fan, so I started watching Nashville Star. Seeing a downward spiral here? Yup. I'm hooked. There is no justification in the world for the amount of frustration I felt for missing last week's Nashville Star because I was on an airplane. Several weeks ago my oldest daughter talked me into letting her stay up to watch America's Next Top Model, a show whose premise I am inherently against, and guess what? Yeah, I'm into it. So when my girls wanted to watch American Idol, at first I said no way. I think Simon What's-his-name is an arrogant, pompous ass who probably doesn't have an ounce of musical talent. I hear he was a producer or something like that in Europe, but seriously, who ever heard of him before this gig? And Paula Abdul? I actually liked her in the '80's and she's definitley better than Simon, but it's not like she was ever anything bigger than a pop princess with a couple CD's. And the other guy - who's he? Not only do I hate the judges, but why do I have to watch it two days in a row if I want to find out who gets voted off? Talk about marketing genius. So I've been watching it for a few weeks with my girls and they're really sick of every time Ryan Seacrest walks out, me saying, "who ever told THAT guy he has talent?!" They remind me that I say that every single week. But no one has ever given me an acceptable answer to that question. (By the way, I also have a standard comment for every time Tyra Banks gets down to the elimination phase on the model show - "DRAAAAA-MAA!!!!!!! My girls are sick of hearing that, too.) Back to American Idol...So I get hooked on the stupid show, even start pulling for a couple of the contestants and manage to ignore the judges. And then Constantine gets voted off?! What's that about? He's the only one with any talent on that show! Did you hear him do Bohemian Rhapsody? That's a nearly impossible song to sing and he nailed it! I'd had enough by then, but I hear Paula's reaction would have made me whip out the DRAMA line again. So he gets voted off while the chubby guy stays? And how about the blonde kid? Didn't Clay Aiken meet the American Idol Whimpy Finalist quota already? That's it, I'm done. I refuse to get sucked into any more reality TV in the future. Although I think I would be a good candidate for one. I'm thinking of approaching Bill Gates with this idea - he gives me ten million dollars and follows me around with a camera crew. I would do great things with the money, help people the world over, and he'd get all the credit. The American people might want romance or drama, and they're going to want to feel good about the outcome. That's easy - I could hire a really hot assistant to carry my briefcase, who I would get briefly involved with (romance) and then eventually break his heart (drama). In the end, of course, I'll decide that in addition to being hot (and younger than me of course), the fact that he can cook and absolutely adores me is enough to make a go of it (GREAT outcome). I think I'm on to something here. What d'ya think?

1 comment:

Bridget Unnel said...

I'm not watching American Idol either, but I cannot claim any anti-reality show moral superiority. CBS tonight at 8:00 -- I've got a date with the TV. "Go on, Fireman Tom -- keep kicking immunity ass!!"