Monday, April 11, 2005

The Midnight Phone Call that went 'Sideways...'

Part I...
This past weekend my friends and I had a 'Sideways' party and I think everyone should have one. We rented the movie 'Sideways,' went to the wine bar down the street and had the head wine guy (whatever you call him) make a list of several of the wines that the characters in the movie drink along their journey up north. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about two friends taking a roadtrip from southern to northern California, stopping along the way to meet various people, eat at different restaurants, and whatever else they do - by the time the movie got any further, we were pretty well into our wine tasting and the rest is fuzzy. (We grossly underestimated the effects of seven bottles of wine on four people, and none of us can quite remember how the movie ended.) As they drank and discussed the different wines in the movie, we tasted them right along with them, along with feasting on some yummy food which we all brought. It was actually a great time for a night at home.

Part II...
We've all heard of the Midnight Phone Call, or some variation. While in high school, my friends and I defined the Midnight Phone Call and decided that it really had nothing to do with midnight as long as it had two key elements:
1. It's always made after dark
2. It's always made after alcohol has been consumed

So, how do these two things come together?
After my Jimmy Buffet concert the other night, I made the Midnight Phone Call. Now, I would never make a Midnight Phone Call to anyone who didn't think I was incredibly cute and funny, and happy to be on the receiving end of it (but if they weren't, I would be too intoxicated to know, wouldn't I?). On that particular night, I made the Midnight Phone Call to my cute and sweet friend on the east coast who I will be visiting next week. It went to voice mail - it was 3:00 AM there - but he did not hesitate to call me first thing in the morning to not only have a few laughs over my state the night before, but threaten to blackmail me with some of the things I said.

Back to the 'Sideways' party...I told my friend Chera about the Midnight Phone Call that I made to our friend on the east coast and we had a good laugh over it. During the movie, however, the main guy, Miles, has a bit too much to drink, walks to the back of the restaurant and calls his ex-wife, basically embarrassing himself. Just as Chera and I are yelling, "He made the Midnight Phone Call!", Miles' friend (whatever his name was) says, "Miles...what's wrong? Miles...did you Drink and Dial?" Of course we cracked up, thinking we had a brand new term for the Midnight Phone Call. So what does Steph do on her way home? Of course, she makes yet ANOTHER Midnight Phone Call to the same poor guy on the east coast to tell him about the new term and how funny the whole thing was.

One Drink and Dial...cute and funny.
Two Drink and Dials...well I guess I'll find out next week.

3 comments:

Charlie Mc said...

Not only is there the drink and dial, but now there's the drink and type (text) those can be even worse! :)

Molly said...

Oh yeah I am much more likely to drink and write an email or text someone than calling...in general I am not a fan of the phone.

the best is to drink and dial someone who is also drinking, those turn out to be the best conversations :)

Anonymous said...

I think there should be a breathalizer installed on every single phone and in order to operate you must blow an appropriate BAC in order to avoid drunk dials. Hmmmmm...maybe I'll patent it.