Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Off to the Big Apple!

I'm hopping on a red eye tonight to New York City and I can't wait!! I have two brothers who both live in the city, one eight years older than me, and one who is actually a step-brother but just as close, eight years younger than me. My older brother will always see me as his baby sister, regardless of how old I am or how much I have done in life. He has always been WAY over-protective and has literally called me ten times today. He wants to make sure I don't over-pack, I don't get off at the wrong station on my way into the city, and that I know where I will lose cell service in case of an emergency. I once stayed with him for a summer while I was in college and I worked for a temp agency in the city. He wanted to walk me to the interview, so once outside the building I said, "Okay, thanks Johnny. See ya later!" Nope. He not only went into the building with me, but up the elevator, into the reception area, and then he actually went into the office of the guy interviewing me and introduced himself! Most people are embarrassed by their parents at some point in their lives - they didn't have an older brother named Johnny. He also told me that if I ever rode the subway alone, he would send me right home. Of course on my first day, they sent me somewhere downtown and I had ten minutes to get there. There was NO WAY I was going to tell my boss that I couldn't take the subway because my big brother would be mad. He never did find out.
Here's what's funny about all of this, something that Johnny has somehow forgotten...I have traveled all over the world. I've ridden and mastered public transportation in Beijing, Singapore, Hong Kong, and yes, even the rail system in Calcutta, not to mention several other of the world's largest cities. I've trekked through the Andes with nothing but a GPS to find my way home, explored the Amazon in a canoe, survived Carnival in Brazil. I was 150 miles from the epi-center of the 8.1 earthquake in Peru while it was happening! But God knows...In case you never hear from me again - send help! I may still be wandering aimlessly around Penn Station.

2 comments:

Charlie Mc said...

Welcome to NY!!!!! Glad to have you here! :)

Steph said...

THANKS!!!