Tuesday, April 05, 2005

"Emotionally Unavailable?" What the F&#@?!

How many episodes of Dr. Phil do you have to watch before you start actually using those kinds of terms in daily conversation? I was recently asked out by a guy named "Rich."** I hesitated to go because the guy seemed like a flake, but was talked into it by well-meaning friends. After a great date, two actually, he wanted to get together again, asked me out for dinner the following weekend, even wanted me to meet his kids. Then I get a phone call later in the week where he leaves a message saying that he's really sorry but he's just "emotionally unavailable" right now. Is he serious? Who says that stuff? I'm actually thinking of becoming "emotionally cold and distant" because I think "emotionally cold and distant" can kick "emotionally unavailable's" ass any time.
He also called himself a "metrosexual" sometime during the date. So I was on a date with an "emotionally unavailable metrosexual" (My father would be so proud). He asked me to call him back to talk about this because as he says, "Talking's good." I called him back to suggest that he cancel his membership to the Cosmo Self-Help Book of the Month Club, as it really wasn't doing him any favors.
Hearing him use those terms brought to mind a particular pet peeve of mine - stupid clichés. You've heard them, probably at work...Think outside the box. Don't drop the ball. Walk the walk. There must be a disconnect somewhere. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And my newest favorite...going forward...
Or maybe you've had someone say this to you in a relationship..."It's not about you," or "I'm just not in a good place right now."
Considering how much those types of phrases annoy me, it's a little ironic that I fell victim to a cliché-slinging emotionally unavailable metrosexual. Oh well..no use crying over spilled perfume.

**Rich actually is his real name, the name has not been changed to protect the innocent. I just put it in quotes because after all of those clichés he was throwing around, at this point he has become somewhat of a caricature.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Ah the hilarity.
It's not your misfortune that i find so amusing, but it's certainly a comfort to know that males are the same no matter what country you're in.

erl said...

men are clearly insane. i have begun to come to terms with this recently.

Charlie Mc said...

love your blog...good insight....