Friday, May 20, 2005

Murder in Pleasantville

I was watching the 11:00 news last night when I heard the newscaster say something about murder affecting a quiet little south Orange County community. I thought it was strange, since I live in a quiet little south Orange County community, and started listening a little more closely. When they came back from a commercial, there was a newscaster reporting live from down the street!!

Check it out...
Murder in Pleasantville

I've said before that I live in Pleasantville. Seriously. It's a private community, one way in, one way out. Very small, very close-knit. I'm talking Wonder Years all the way. It's basically a little loop of streets with probably three blocks of houses and that's it. It's so safe that people wait years to get into my neighborhood. Everyone around here knows about it and when I mention where I live, they invariably say, "Oh...you live THERE? I LOVE that neighborhood! How much do the houses cost there?"

So after hearing the newscast, I decide to investigate. I walked outside with my cell phone in hand (the murderer was still on the loose, so I was ready to call 911) and looked for the camera crews. They lied about being live because they were not in front of the house on the news. I was a little disappointed - I wanted the scoop. There was, however, a police helicopter circling above the neighborhood. So as I'm walking back into my house, I thought, "Oh no! What if the murderer entered my house while I was down the street?!" Damn! Now I was going to have to check every single room, under every bed, every closet before I could rest. By now it's 11:30 and there's no way I'm getting to sleep.

The good news is, several people today have already told me that the murderer was found this morning not too far away. Apparently, he went home and killed himself after he killed the other guy. Whew!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a small world. I can't beleive you actually went out by yourself to "get the scoop." You're more brave than I am.